Sunday, September 8, 2013

An Experience with Courage

Courage is something that we all have experienced during the course of our lives. Although courage is not something we experience often, it is clearly recognizable when we do. There is always a handful of moments that you can recall someone showing courage in difficult situations. 

For me personally, I always remember my older sister when I think about courage. My sister was born with strabismus, which  is a condition where one eye is not correctly positioned with the other. For this reason, she had to get eye surgery to fix this when she was only twelve years old. Although she had lived with this condition her whole life, my parents decided it would be best to get rid of it permanently through surgery. My sister was very nervous and apprehensive when she first learned that she would be having the operation, as any kid would be. In the days leading up to the surgery, however, I distinctly remember her no longer being nervous. She was ready to take the situation head on and not be afraid. In the end, the surgery was successful and she was only left with a minor scar on her eye.

This experience really had an impact on me. It showed me both how powerful and beneficial showing courage can be. Going in to a hard time in life is much easier when you have the strength to show courage. Showing courage can also make others feel better about the situation. Even though this is a lesson I learned when I was very young, I will remember it for all of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment